Our design uses the original emblem of Newton Heath.
Newton Heath LYR Football Club, which would eventually become Manchester United Football Club, was formed by the Carriage and Wagon department of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway depot at Newton Heath in 1878. At first, the team competed against other rail companies. The fixtures were played at their home ground at North Road.
In 1888 Newton Heath became a founding member of The Combination, the regional football league for the area. However, following the dissolution of the league at the close of its first season, Newton Heath joined the newly formed Football Alliance. This operated for three seasons before it became part of The Football League. The club began the 1892–93 season in the First Division. By now it had become separate from the rail company, and dropped the “LYR” from its title. The club had also moved to a new ground at Bank Street.
But by 1902, the club was heavily in debt and was closed down. The captain, Harry Stafford, got a group of four local businessmen – including John Henry Davies, who took over as club president – to invest £500 for a direct interest in the club. To commemorate the new beginning, the club’s name was changed to Manchester United on 24 April 1902.